Re: Maybe simple question

2003-12-12 07:06:57
Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

Ok, so if I'm the owner of a mailserver and I want to use spf, I have to
manually create a list of every IP address of every mailserver that I expect
to receive email from.

Erm no, absolutely not. Almost completely backwards, I'm afraid.

What SPF specifies is the range of servers that can be expected to send mail FROM a specific domain. The domain owner adds a record to his DNS entries listing those servers; this listing can be as simple as "all the servers I've got listed as incoming mail exhangers", or "all the servers whose reverse-resolves put them in my domain", or as complex as "All the servers in the same IP-subnet as any of my hosts, but not those that are mail exhangers for someone-else.com".

SMTP, IMLE is almost always a one-hop operation; in cases where it's not, (ie smarthosting), most of the servers in a chain are under the same control anyway.

HTH,
        Wechsler

--
ALPHA SPF Tools at infinitepenguins.net: http://www.infinitepenguins.net/SPF/