Re: Maybe simple question

2003-12-12 14:29:43
Ok, so I understood it correctly from the start then.  Under SPF, the
receiver's mailserver has to know the IP address that the message came from.
But it doesn't.  It only knows the last relay that hands the message over.

Email is almost never a direct operation, Wechsler.  Look at your own messages.
 The ones you send to this list go through 5 relays before arriving.

SPF blows away the entire idea of SMTP relaying.  It is not compatible with
smtp.

Wechsler <wechsler(_at_)phase(_dot_)org> wrote :

Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

Ok, so if I'm the owner of a mailserver and I want to use spf, I have to
manually create a list of every IP address of every mailserver that I
expect
to receive email from.

Erm no, absolutely not. Almost completely backwards, I'm afraid.

What SPF specifies is the range of servers that can be expected to send
mail FROM a specific domain. The domain owner adds a record to his DNS
entries listing those servers; this listing can be as simple as "all the
servers I've got listed as incoming mail exhangers", or "all the servers
whose reverse-resolves put them in my domain", or as complex as "All the
servers in the same IP-subnet as any of my hosts, but not those that are
mail exhangers for someone-else.com".

SMTP, IMLE is almost always a one-hop operation; in cases where it's
not, (ie smarthosting), most of the servers in a chain are under the
same control anyway.

HTH,
      Wechsler

--