RE: Maybe simple question

2003-12-14 08:36:09
smtp.rcn.com or smtp.aol.com could enforce that only you (or someone
with your smtp auth info) can use your domain as an envelope sender.

It's true they *can*, but they also *can* put up $10 billion to build a cold
fusion power plant.

Picture this:

AOL creates a corporate policy that allows me to send mail from
nedharvey.com using their smtp servers, and I send through them using smtp
auth.  Right now I have about 5 domains, plus the company I work for, plus
their alternate domains, so all in all they should allow me to send mail
from about 8 domains.

Sometimes my brother or friends will come over with their laptops and want
to do their email on my network.

I can go register other domains as I wish, and AOL has to let me send mail
from those domains. etc etc.

If they require proof that I'm authorized to send from these domains, they
will need to hire staff to process all that, for me and thousands of other
customers.  It is a significant expense to AOL if they want to support
people sending from other domains.

If they don't require proof, then anybody can spam from there.

Yet some isp's won't allow customers to send from other domains.  Some isp's
will only allow their customers to send from isp.com.  This makes isp.com
cheaper.

In short, people who send from domains other than isp.com will have to pay
more.

You're saying I have to pay to use SPF.

Plus, there are many many locations where customers have no choice about
ISP's.  For example, people who live in the woods and have only one local
number to call, for one local ISP.  These people are *forced* to comply to
the policy of whatever isp is there.

In Boston, I would be forced to use rcn's policy, or comcast's policy,
because they're the only cablemodem providers here.  What shall I do if they
decide I can only use mail(_at_)rcn(_dot_)com or mail(_at_)comcast(_dot_)com?

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.3.txt