RE: Maybe simple question

2003-12-14 09:44:17
AOL creates a corporate policy that allows me to send mail from
nedharvey.com using their smtp servers, and I send through them
using smtp
auth.

In SPF terms, this doens't require AOL to do anything. It requires *you*
to either set up your own SMTP server or set your SPF records with
+include:aol.com.

Wrong.  I cannot install smtp auth on aol's servers.

If I use aol, comcast, or rcn, or most isp's, I cannot run my own mailserver
because they filter outbound port 25.

If I add +include:aol.com or +include:rcn.com to my spf records, thus
allowing *anybody* to spoof my address who uses rcn or aol, there are
millions of people capable of forging my address.

This is not a solution, or even an improvement.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.3.txt