RE: Maybe simple question

2003-12-15 12:51:48
>Edward Ned Harvey <spf(_at_)nedharvey(_dot_)com> wrote:
> and spf will
> tell the victims that it's really Joe sending the spam.

Brian Hatch <bri(_at_)ifokr(_dot_)org> wrote:
No, it'll tell them that joe's email address sent the spam,
and that it must have come through a machine allowed to
send email from joe's domain.

Edward Ned Harvey <spf(_at_)nedharvey(_dot_)com> wrote:
If you don't think that's the same thing...  Kudos to you.  But I think
most people will think "It was authorized to come from joe(_at_)joe(_dot_)com,
so
unless the authorization process is hacked, Joe really sent it."

In this example, joe(_at_)joe(_dot_)com may be protected by emvp, or some other signature method, for those sites that choose to use it. But what about mail coming from xyhs83kjdospd(_at_)joe(_dot_)com?

I haven't reviewed emvp so it would be irresponsible for me to start making comments about it as if I had. However, if it is at all like your description, it seems like
 a. a good concept that might be useful to people, and
 b. solving a different problem than SPF is trying to solve

I don't see any reason that SPF and eMVP should be competitors. In fact there are probably a lot of ways we could come up with to make them complementary.

Edward Ned Harvey <spf(_at_)nedharvey(_dot_)com> wrote:
emvp is well thought out, but poorly documented. All of the work so far
has
been mostly offsite and verbal, not much written.

Documentation is not necessarily hard work, but it is time-consuming. Still, time spent writing documentation is quite rewarding sometimes. And, it's a lot easier to collaborate on documents than on ideas.

Might I suggest that you could be spending time writing documentation to clarify and express eMVP to the world, instead of spending time tearing down SPF, which is probably not really a competitor anyway? You could even include a section in the document that explains why eMVP promises to be more effective than other approaches. I would certainly be willing to review it and provide comments.

Thanks
gregc