Re: Please Publish SPF Records

2003-12-12 11:26:09
So, like, the other day Meng Weng Wong mumbled:
On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 05:08:50PM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
| Unless all the two hundred and twenty people on this mailing list have
| managed to overlook some enormous shortcoming in the draft, the design
| is now frozen, and the spec will only change in minor details such as
| the format of the Received-SPF header.

SPF is ready.  Please publish records!

  http://spf.pobox.com/mechanisms.html
  http://spf.pobox.com/dns.html

I'm catching up on old mail.  Sorry.

Typos from http://spf.pobox.com/mechanisms.html:

        Mechanism Syntax

    Mechanisms can be prefixed with one of four characters:

    - fail
    + pass
    ? unknown

And there appear to be only three, not the stated four.
Is "!" missing, or is "three" the correct word? :-)
(Yes, I've read the draft; "three" is correct.)

Clarification:  By the following statement:

    If a mechanism results in a hit, the prefix value obtains
    instead of the default value, which is "pass".

Do you mean to say something like:

    The default value is 'pass".  If a mechanism results in
    a hit, its prefix value is used instead of the default.

Uh, before we get Slashrotted, we need to fill in the IPv6
sections as well.  Cross the "t" and dot the "i" first, right?

So, from the DNS page, it looks like there is link
to the RFC draft:
    http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.txt

Is that the current version?  I don't think so:

    http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf.02.9.3.txt

And over in that spec, section 4.1, there is some use of the
word "should" which MIGHT need to be "SHOULD NOT" or "MUST NOT".
In particular, claims about "making sense" are tantamount
to defining illegal constructs or disallowing syntax.

Thanks,
jdl