Some comments on the draft

2003-12-16 15:59:16
Hi all,

I started reading the draft and I have some comments.

Section 1.1:
--
One of the central problems in modern email is the suppression of
spam (unsolicited bulk/commercial email).  Spammers often falsify

I don't think that you should specify spam as the main problem that SPF will solve. The main problem that it will solve is forged email, especially fraudulous ones. Spam will be harder to send as a consequence, but SPF will not stop spam alltogether, so I don't think that it should be spam should be the first thing discussed in the introduction. I'd prefer to see SPF presented as a complete forgery solution than a imcomplete spam solution.

Section 2.2.2:
--
Clients are NOT REQUIRED to attempt lookups against parent domains.
   If a domain has no SPF record, clients MUST NOT, on their own

Aren't these two sentences contradicting each other? The first sentence could be rewritten as "Clients MAY attempt lookups against parent domains." and that would contredict the second sentence.

Section 3.7, 2nd paragraph:
--
If a SPF client chooses to simply limit recursion depth,
then at least 10 levels of redirects and includes must be supported.

3.8
--
The header SHOULD be prepended before any other Received-SPF headers in the message.
--

Appendix A:
I believe that RFC2373 only defines the IPv6 address structure. IPv4 is defined by RFC791.

A few question:

1. Is the SPF record case sensitive? i.e.: Can I write: "V=SPF1 A MX ?ALL"?

2. I don't quite understand the distinction between the redirect and include keywords. You state that the redirect keyword should be used between domains that are administered by the same organisation while the include keywork should be used for independant domains. What's the problem with using include with domains that are all maintained by the same organisation? What's the problem with using redirect with independant domains? I know it's related to the enlevope sender, but I don't understand SPF enough to see the problem. It would be nice if you could put an example.

Best,
GFK's
--
Guillaume Filion, ing. jr