Re: The Forwarding Problem: review

2003-12-20 14:47:18
Meng Weng Wong wrote:
So the two major warts with SPF were
1) traveling mailman
2) .forward

We have managed to solve #1 using the exists mechanism.

Having done my evangalist bit with various admins of my acquaintance, I'm finding that 1) is Not Believed Solved, and particularly that the "Objections" page on the pobox.com site furthers this belief.

Once I get a chance to say "well, you can use ?all for the moment, and implement SMTP-AUTH, SSH or VPN solutions, or just do something clever with 'exists' macros" they seem to have fewer objections; but the pobox.com site is authoratative and I'm Not, so I end up losing anyway.

I think we need to expand on the various options available here, and in particular explain why an SPF record with numerous exceptions is significantly better than no SPF record.

On an almost entirely seperate note, I've been running the PHP parser over the test.txt file, and it's having some real problems. Not, as far as I know, because of my code, but because of the use of underscores in 'exists' macros, as recommended in the draft RFC. (see http://www.infinitepenguins.net/SPF/bulktest.php#58 if you're morbidly curious as to parser results)

PHP *cannot* resolve a domain name containing an underscore. In fact there's quite a lot of things PHP can't do with DNS lookups, but this one's more of a 'gotcha' than the rest.

See: http://www.infinitepenguins.net/SPF/dnstest.php to interact with this particular problem.

I know that there's some debate over the validity of underscores in names, and that some RFC appears to OK it, but this would appear to be one lookup implementation that doesn't support it, and I don't suspect it's the only one out there.

        Thanks,
                Wechsler