Re: Arguments regarding "complexity"

2003-12-20 21:06:02
I am not convinced that it makes a huge amount of sense to follow this path for the long term. *HOWEVER*, in the interests of promoting SPF uptake in the short term, and getting sendmail users on board, it would seem that publishing (a) the code to implement this, and (b) hosting one or more name servers to do this, would be a good idea.

My system is on the end of a cable connection using a dynamic IP address -- so there is a fair amount of hassle to make it work. If someone has a linux box with a decent connection that isn't already running a DNS server, then I'd be willing to help set it up. Note that the magic of DNS is such that we could have multiple servers on different machines, and the DNS infrastructure would parcel out the requests. We should probably grab a domain name for this purpose.

It is also unclear what the exact format of the domain name should be. As Mark points out, there is an ambiguousness problem to be resolved. Suggestions welcomed.

Philip

wayne wrote:

In <200312201439(_dot_)HBKEDY8W005286(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net> Mark
<admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net> writes:

1(_dot_)2(_dot_)3(_dot_)4(_dot_)philip(_at_)altavista(_dot_)com(_dot_)HELO@foo.bar.lookup.spf.gladstonefamily.net

Would actually be ideal for use within a sendmail rule. In a real sendmail
rule, it might take a similar shape:

R$-.$-.$-.$-    $: $(host $4.$3.$2.$1.$f.HELO.$s._spf.domain.name. $:OK $)

I can't say that I've thought this through all the way, but this
appears to have some large holes in it that are open for possible
abuse and/or bugs.  In particular, the HELO string can be almost
anything, including something that would screw up the parsing of this
domain.

Are you sure that this format will lead to unambiguous and valid DNS
lookups?

Cool idea though.

-wayne