Re: Arguments regarding "complexity"

2003-12-19 12:47:15

Regarding complaints that SPF is "too complex" ... I wonder if it would help or hurt the cause to have some recommendations for a "minimal" implementation of SPF. This might address concerns such as Eric Allman's "must be doable in rules"...

As a developer who has implemented SPF, I would simply say it isn't too complex as it stands. That's just my opinion, though.

Something like, "If the receiving mail system does not support certain mechanisms, such as exists, include, redirect, or anything containing macro expansions, the result should be "unknown" and processing should stop...

I don't think this is necessary. While the RFCs state the "official" rules, they are bent all the time. For example, Cisco PIX firewalls have an SMTP "fixup" protocol that violates RFC822. It has done that for years, and they aren't trying to change it. Then, there are relased programs that are still in development, that support most of the required features of a protocol, but not all. And, there are unique implementations that don't need to meet the RFCs (for example, a DNS server only used for DNSBLs won't need to have support for LOC records).

Essentially, if an RFC is too complex, the market will fix the problem by coming out with incomplete versions. There are already several full implementations of SPF out there, so the way is already paved for full implementations. But, if there are people who feel that SPF is useful enough to start implementation of but not useful enough to do a full implementation of, it will happen.

                                                   -Scott
---
Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.

---