Re: Multiple TXT records

2003-12-30 09:06:52

Hello, can I nitpick and ask what the point of this paragraph is?

   If multiple explanation TXT records are returned, they are
   concatenated in the order they were received.  Use of multiple TXT
   records is discouraged as DNS does not guarantee order.

I think if multiple TXT records are returned, all but the first should be
ignored.

The problem is that SPF is co-existing with other DNS records. If you already have a TXT record for your domain for some reason (quite a few domains do), then multiple TXT records are necessary.

Surely we don't want to encourage >64K of SPF data?

Actually, we don't want to encourage >512 bytes in the DNS response packet, which is somewhere around 450 bytes of TXT records. Going over that requires TCP, which may break some implementations, and uses up much more resources.
                                   -Scott

---