Re: IPv6 Support

2004-01-09 09:23:36
On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 04:12:55PM +0000, Jasper Wallace wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Colin Whittaker wrote:

Hi there,

I have been reading about SPF and want to deploy it on my domain in
work. Since the only machine that sends mail from this domain is also
the MX then the following entry in the zone file zhould be enough.

heanet.ie.             IN      TXT     "v=spf1 mx -all"

However we run a fully IPv6 enabled network which means that the
mailserver has AAAA records in the DNS zone and will use IPv6 to send
mail if the recieving site also has AAAA records.

How does SPF handle this situation.

When an MTA receives a TCP connection from another host it can tell what IP
version is being used.

SPF evaluation can then use AAAA instead of A if the connection is over IPv6.

Do the deployed evaluation systems do this?

mail.heanet.ie.         IN      TXT     "v=spf1 a -all"

Does that make the 'a' in the above line AAAA if ipv6 is used or should
there be an "aaaa" element as well.

Colin
--
Colin Whittaker                                         +353 1 6609040

noc(_at_)heanet(_dot_)ie