Re: Welcome new subscribers. I have a dream.

2004-01-11 20:51:58
On Monday 12 January 2004 2:36 am, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
Before a domain can turn publish SPF records, it needs to make sure its
users can relay outbound mail through its designated servers whether
they're coming from.  SMTP AUTH or POP-before-SMTP are ways to do this.
All major mail clients support SMTP AUTH.  Domains that cannot provide
this kind of functionality to their users should not publish SPF records.

Having a sudden attack of cognitive dissonance...

I thought they would publish records which default to 'unknown' whilst
designating any known 'official' MTA hosts as 'pass'

It would help since whatever mail _is_ passing through the official host can
still gain some of the benefits of SPF, eg: be scored better in heuristic
antispam detectors, challenge/response systems can skip the need for a
challenge, bounce-hesitant systems can fire away etc...

- Dan