RE: Re[5]: Lawsuits, angry business users, and SPF stupidity.

2004-01-13 07:15:35
Chris Drake [mailto:christopher(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com] wrote:
Thanks for your clearly put overview.  The problem is that "you as the
domain owner" is an isolated and comparatively rare case. Most people
sending emails do so using their ISP's domain. They do not own the
domain. If they choose to use 3rd party tools or products, or to send
from elsewhere, or to run their own outgoing servers, SPF is going to
punish them (*and* the 3rd party providers - which is *me* - which is
why I am against SPF)

If a user is able/capable of doing all of the above, then I would believe
that they can then register their own domain name and setup DNS.  And the
objection cannot be cost, because domains are cheap (< $10/year) and I can
point you to free and cheap DNS providers.

It is unreasonable to expect people to switch ISP, and vast numbers of
users do not have this luxury (eg: think ADSL or cable or satellite
users around the world where there is little/no service competition),
and I think it is rude to develop a standard that is going to force
people to do this

I was simply suggesting switching email providers only.  For example, use
Hotmail or similar for your email.  I do not use my ISP-provided email
account, and it's not because I run my own server.  Before I did that, I
used Hotmail.  I believe it is more prudent to do so, so that you are not
tied to an email address when switching ISP's.

Marc