RE: Mail with suspicious HTML tag discarded.

2004-01-14 09:00:21
Alain,

Your rant on Outlook is unfounded.  You are clearly the one causing the
problem.  You are the only one from whom I've ever receive an email that
causes the "follow-up" flag to be set on EVERY email.  Your client is also
doing something that has caused problems with the listserv software.

The article that you include only mentions Windows once and Outlook once.
It says nothing about Outlook being "one of the major sources of spam."  I
am a happy user of Outlook and have never been hit by a virus, let alone
causing one to be sent from me.

Marc

-----Original Message-----
From: Alain Knaff [mailto:spf(_at_)misc(_dot_)lka(_dot_)org(_dot_)lu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 10:39 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com; wayne
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Mail with suspicious HTML tag discarded.

begin  Wednesday 14 January 2004 15:51, wayne quote:
Alex Van den Bogaerdt's signature contains:
: begin  sig
: http://www.googlism.com/index.htm?ism=alex+van+den+bogaerdt&type=1
: This message was produced without any iframe tags

The first line triggers a but in some MicroSoft email programs
(outlook?  outlook express?  I forget).  The third line obviously
triggers other bugs.

I'm not sure I appreciate people who go out of their way to cause bugs
any more than I appreciate seeing these warning messages being sent to
the list.

Outlook is currently one of the major sources of Spam. Outlook Viruses
nowadays not only spread themselves around, but they also have an
interesting payload: they act as open relays for spammers:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2003/tc20030812_7863_tc047
.htm
Most spam from residential addresses is actually due to compromised
Outlook installations. It is thus of utmost importance that we educate
the public about the danger of this mailer, and steer them to other,
safer alternatives. Indeed, an Outlook user not only risks the safety
of his own machine, but he also impacts the usability of the Internet
for everybody else (due to the spams that his viruses send).

The following URL has a list of other mail programs. You don't even
need to upgrade to Linux to use them:
http://www.pcbuyersguide.com/solutions/web/email_alternatives.html

Regards,

Alain