Proposed PGP mechanism and de-spamming Usenet - a job for SPF?

2004-01-18 21:22:07
Hi All,

I have recently been thinking a great deal about an application already widely
considered to have suffered the 'spam-death' that now threatens email: Usenet
newsgroups. It occurs to me that usenet and email are very closely related:

1. Both use the same namespace (mailboxes).
2. Both have no sender authentication system.
3. Mail-to-news and News-to-mail gateways exist.
4. Threading, message-id's and other concepts are compatible.

The principal difference is of course in the message
routing/storage/distribution architecture. Adding sender authentication to
Usenet strikes me as simply a more extreme form of the email forwarder
problem.

Thinking along these lines suggests to me that we are taking too narrow a view
of the forwarding problem with SRS. Is it possible for SPF to rescue usenet
too?.

- Dan