Re: CNAMEs

2004-01-22 13:36:29
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 03:26:07PM +0100, Henrik Edlund wrote:

| I find CNAME talk in the draft (spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com)
to be a little
| on the light side. It talks about "followed in the usual way". But it is
| unclear if this relates to SPF lookup or IP number lookup during MX/A/PTR
| testing.
|
| I would like to know if this means I do not have to list SPF records for
| my CNAMEs, like I have to for my A records. Will any CNAME be followed and
| the SPF record found for the target A record be used?

If you have a CNAME record for some label, you don't put anuthing else on
that same label, not even TXT for SPF.  All other records are obtained from
the target (with some sanity for too many CNAME reference steps and loops).

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |