Re: SPF and mydoom

2004-01-29 09:56:18
On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 05:16:49PM +0100, Alain Knaff wrote:

| But problems might occur anyways once viruses get smart enough to use
| SASL authentication, which is currently whitelisted in sendmail-milter.

In The Future, the ISP's mailserver will be the only point of control
for outbound mail.  It will be the ISP's responsibility to throttle
connections and do outbound virus and spam scanning or be penalized for
being a bad citizen.  AOL has already gotten to this future: most of its
spam comes from whitelisted ISP servers, and they are now peeking behind
the Received curtain to figure out which compromised end-user machines
are mailing through the ISP gateways and selectively blocking those.
But at some point AOL's going to lose patience and just block those ISPs
entirely until they clean up their act.

Market dynamics being what they are, I can't wait to get a discount from
my broadband provider for running OS X at home.

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage