Re: mail.com now publishing

2004-02-06 09:57:50
<snip>

 Well, it's not always the fault of the AV companies.  We produce anti-virus
products, and we are very much opposed to the practice of sending
notifications to the recipients and *supposed* senders of mass-mailing
worms - see my recent public letter on this topic:

I do two things. If the email is scanned and has a virus, it emails both the
mailserver
administrator, and the receipient. However, the message is mostly customized,
and it
tells the customer that (1) an email to them was blocked due to a virus, and
(2) that
the sender was most likely a faked email address.

This gives the customer the opportunity to look at it, and if it was actually
from
someone that they were expecting an email from, they know. If it were deleted
without notification to someone, then it would be a case of disappearing mail.
A very
small percentage I am sure. :)

John Chapman

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt