Re: header algorithm for responsible sender selection

2004-02-06 15:22:59
It appears to me that the issue with checking email headers
is forwarders. Here are a few thoughts:
* Forwarders might check the SPF data at their end, or not.
  It seems to me that a forwarder would need to modify/add
  the headers DIFFERENTLY, depending on whether or not
  the forwarder checked the SPF values.  Ideally,
  the headers should be modified so that users would see
  ordinary "from" addresses if the SPF values were checked
  by the forwarder.
* There may need to be a way for final receivers to know if they
  should trust a forwarder for a given user.
  Whitelisting the forwarder (per user) is one way.
  Another might be a cookie scheme.

I don't have a fully cooked solution, but I'm hoping one
can be developed.

--- David A. Wheeler <dwheeler(_at_)dwheeler(_dot_)com>

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)œ§ÅvÂŒðŠŸØߎëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com