Re: ANNOUNCE: SRS v0.15 documentation and code

2004-02-11 03:16:03
wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

It appears that you are using base64 to encode stuff and putting in
the local part.  Base64 uses both upper and lower case characters.  If
I recall correctly, the local part is supposed to be case sensitive,
but in practice, there are systems that change the case of letters in
it.  IBM mainframes come to mind, but I suspect there are others.

Can you really get away with using mixed cases in practice?

I would say "no". Even if RFC 2821 explicitly says that the local part
of the mailbox is case sensitive, almost all MDAs treat them as case
insensitive. This has probably lead to some MTAs rewriting case.

Given the current practice, and not only the standard, I would say
that being case sensitive here breaks "be conservative in what you
send and liberal in what you receive".

--
Gustav Foseid, Initio IT-løsninger AS
http://www.initio.no/