Re: A HELO Question

2004-03-06 12:14:00
wayne wrote:

In <404A190C(_dot_)5070208(_at_)greptar(_dot_)com> Nathan Wharton
<naw(_at_)greptar(_dot_)com> writes:

From what I understand, if a domain hasn't published any SPF
records, or doesn't even exist, I shouldn't be getting an SPF fail
on something from them.  Is this right?

That is correct.

So, does this mean a spammer can bypass SPF by just using HELO bogusdomain.com and MAIL FROM: <>?

If it is, then that has not been my experience.  If a bounce comes
from a machine that has a bogus HELO, it gets an SPF fail:
[example from the postfix SPF stuff deleted]

I would say that this is a bug in the postfix policy-spf code.

Then is it a bug in Mail::SPF::Query, then? The postfix policy code is just a small wrapper around it.