Re: A HELO Question

2004-03-06 19:54:57
In <20040307024606(_dot_)GI20156(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

or should they return UNKNOWN in both cases?

IMHO, NXDOMAIN should return "unknown" in all cases.  A domain that has
never published any SPF records, doesn't like SPF and doesn't want
anything to do with SPF should not have to worry that screwups on
their part will cause SPF "failures".

I went back and checked the list archive, and this was indeed
discussed starting around Feb 3-4 under the subject of NXDOMAIN.
Unfortunately, that was exactly the time when I started coding
libspf-alt and I didn't pay much attention to the list then.  I guess
that's my own fault.

Libspf-alt returns "unknown" for NXDOMAIN, and it would take a lot to
convince me to default to "fail".  If there was enough demand for it,
I could see adding an option.

-wayne