Re: A HELO Question

2004-03-07 00:36:11
--Meng Weng Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 08:16:24PM -0600, wayne wrote:

| >                                     I suspect that this logic probably
| > should not be present for the HELO fallback case -- maybe it should
| > return SOFTFAIL instead.
|
| I think this logic probably should not be present period.

OK, I will take it out of 1.997.

Do you guys want "unknown" or "none" to occur for NXDOMAIN?

I would suggest "none" as this is the same as what happens when the name is there but the SPF record doesn't exist.

Now that I think about it, I think sendmail and other MTA's will catch the MAIL FROM: <user(_at_)nonexistent(_dot_)domain> on their own, but I don't know if they would catch MAIL FROM: <> and HELO nonexistent.domain. I still agree with most folks who posted here, that it's not SPF's role to deal with any mail from (or helo) with nonexistent names. Perhaps it's worth a sideways mention that "Most MTA's already check for mail from nonexistent names - you may want to verify if this is on with your MTA". Since I don't know really any MTA's that check for MAIL FROM: <> and HELO nonexistent.domain I don't know what we should be recommending to people for that case.