Re: A HELO Question

2004-03-06 19:26:25
In <404A190C(_dot_)5070208(_at_)greptar(_dot_)com> Nathan Wharton
<naw(_at_)greptar(_dot_)com> writes:

From what I understand, if a domain hasn't published any SPF records, or
doesn't even exist, I shouldn't be getting an SPF fail on something from
them.  Is this right?

If it is, then that has not been my experience.  If a bounce comes from a
machine that has a bogus HELO, it gets an SPF fail:

Mar  4 20:30:24 mail2 postfix/policy-spf[31748]: : SPF fail:
smtp_comment=Please see
http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=InterJet.akaerospace.com&ip=209.112.133.85&receiver=mail2.schaferhsv.com:

Interesting.

If you follow this "why.html" link, the web page says that "However,
InterJet.akaerospace.com has announced using SPF that it does not send
mail out through 209.112.133.85. That is why the mail was rejected."

This is clearly wrong because InterJet.akaerospace.com has not only
not published any SPF records, but it doesn't even exist.

:-<

-wayne