OT: DNS, MX Records and TTL

2004-03-08 07:48:26

Hey, everyone.  I have an 'off topic' DNS question and know you all can help
with the answer.  Specifically, how do MX records work with TTL?  And how
does a mail sender know when to look for new records?

Example:
alaia.net has two MX records, but let's say I make a mistake and have
different TTL's
alaia.net MX 10 mx.spfproxy.com ; TTL=14400
alaia.net MX 20 gw.alaia.net ; TTL=86400

So, first email to alaia.net goes to mx.spfproxy.com, of course, but what
happens 5 hours later after MX 10 has expired?  Similarly, what if I add
another MX record with priority 5 immediately after an email is sent to me?
I presume that that sender would not check for new records until all prior
records have expired?

Thanks,
Marc