Re: Latest proposal re HELO checking: make HELO tests optional

2004-03-08 02:53:28
Dave Crocker wrote:
Since this point is frequently confusing:

JK> ...at least it's generally agreed that MAIL FROM gives a
JK> *sender* identification. On the other hand, HELO identifies the SMTP
JK> *client*. ...

In spite of its name and in spite of RFC2821's reference to "source
address", Mail-From identifies an address to receive bounces and says
nothing at all about the sender.

Not confused, thanks Dave. Unless your point is that 2821 is actually wrong
on this issue?

RFC 2821 (3.3)
The transaction starts with a MAIL command which gives the sender
identification
[...] [which is]
the source mailbox [...], which can be used to report errors

OK, so I was wrong about "generally agreed" :-) However, I'm sure you will
agree that the HELO arg has nothing at all to do with sender identification
(except when the sender *is* the smtp client - in the case of the null
sender).

Regards,
JK