accreditation modifier

2004-03-10 03:03:38
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 04:43:45AM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| Also, we should talk about the proposed accreditation modifier ---
| accreditation agencies are forming as predicted and a standardized set
| of accreditation semantics would be a plus for everyone.

Phillip posted this document back in January.  People who haven't
already read it should please get up to speed.  I want to make things
easy for three sets of parties:

1) accredited sender domains should be able to add accreditation
   modifiers easily.

2) accreditation agencies should be able to easily publish vouch
   information, in a standard format if possible

3) reputation services eg. SpamAssassin should be able to easily verify
   an asserted accreditation and resolve its semantics to a score or an
   absolute whitelist.

Hmm, this means that Mail::SPF::Query is probably going to have to
return yet another result value describing accreditation vouches.

         SPF Working Group
         Internet Draft                                       P. Hallam-Baker
         Document: draft-spf-accreditation-00.txt               VeriSign Inc.
         Expires: July 2004                                      January 2004

                               SPF Accreditation Profile

      Status of this Memo

         This document is an Internet-Draft and is NOT offered in accordance
         with Section 10 of RFC2026, and the author does not provide the IETF
         with any rights other than to publish as an Internet-Draft

         Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
         Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
         other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
         Drafts.

         Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
         and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
         time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
         material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

         The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
              http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt
         The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
              http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

      Abstract

         This document describes the SPF accreditation mechanism.

         An accreditation is a description by a third party that describes an
         email sender in some way that helps the recipient estimate the
         likelihood that a message authenticated as being originated by the
         sender is spam.

      Conventions used in this document

         The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
         "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED",  "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this
         document are to be interpreted as described in RFC-2119 [1].

      Table of Contents

      <Lastname>               Expires - July 2004                 [Page 1]
                                     <Title>                   January 2004

         1. Introduction..................................................2
            1.1 Accreditation Authorities.................................2
            1.2 Accreditation Statements..................................3
            1.3 Publication of Accreditation Statements...................4
            1.4 Interpretation of Accreditation Statements................4
         2. DNS Publication of Accreditation Statements...................5
            2.1 Accreditation Authority Description TXT Record............5
            2.2 Sender Recipient A Record.................................5
            2.3 Sender Recipient TXT Record...............................5
         3. Filter Interpretation Guidelines..............................5
            3.1 Establishing Provider Reputation..........................5
            3.2 Combining Accreditations..................................6
         4. Security Considerations.......................................6
            4.1 Unauthenticated or Wrongly Authenticated Sender...........6
            4.2 Untrustworthy Accreditation Provider......................6
            4.3 DNS Security Issues.......................................7
         References.......................................................7
         Acknowledgments..................................................7
         Author's Addresses...............................................7

      1. Introduction

      An accreditation is a statement by a third party that the recipient of an
email may
      use to estimate the probability that the sender is a spammer.

      1.1 Accreditation Authorities

         An Accreditation Authority is a third party that is responsible for
         making statements that describe email senders.

         Accreditation Authorities MAY be restricted or unrestricted. A
         restricted accreditation authority only publishes statements that
         relate to a restricted number of email senders. An unrestricted
         accreditation authority publishes statements for all email senders.

         An accreditation authority may take additional measures to improve
         the value of their accreditation, for example bringing civil suits
         against parties that breach the undertakings given.

      Accountability of Accreditation Authorities

         Experience of anti-spam blacklists has shown that those who attempt
         to provide accountability must in turn be accountable.

         There is no difficulty in ensuring that accreditation providers are
         accountable to email recipients. An accreditation authority that

      <Lastname>               Expires - July 2004                 [Page 2]
                                     <Title>                   January 2004

         provides incorrect accreditation will soon be ignored. The value of
         an accreditation may be measured empirically by measuring the
         proportion of the message sent bearing a particular accreditation
         that are determined to be spam (e.g. through user reports).

         If the ability to measure the value of an accreditation agency is to
         be of use to the recipient it must be possible for new accreditation
         providers to offer their services without artificial barriers to
         entry such as magic lists of ?approved? providers.

         One way to avoid this problem is to allow email senders to specify
         the accreditation providers they favor. Although it is unlikely that
         any individual would specify an accreditation provider that gave them
         a bad rating, an accreditation service that had established a
         sufficiently high reputation on the basis of its positive
         accreditations could offer to supply negative ratings.

         This mechanism offers substantial advantages over the current
         situation in which maintainers of anti-spam blacklists are
         effectively unaccountable to any party. Accreditation services are
         held accountable to both senders and receivers.

      Practices Considerations

         As a trusted third party the actions of an Accreditation Authority
         are raise numerous legal issues. These issues are outside the scope
         of this document.

      1.2 Accreditation Statements

         At present a large number of different parties act as Accreditation
         Authorities with respect to sending of email. Blacklists attempt to
         identify bad faith actors while whitelists look to identify good
         faith actors. Whitelist accreditations may involve a simple promise
         not to spam or a promise that is backed up by some form of penalty
         such as the forfeiture of a bond or the publication of negative
         reputation data.

         Despite the wide variety in the types of data Accreditation
         Authorities provide the inferences that anti-spam filtering
         techniques attempt to draw are the same, is a particular item of
         email likely or unlikely to be spam. For this reason we leave the
         details of the accreditation mechanism to the Accreditation
         Authority.

      <Lastname>               Expires - July 2004                 [Page 3]
                                     <Title>                   January 2004

         An accreditation authority MAY publish any form of accreditation
         statement they choose. The following types of statement are likely to
         be of greatest utility.

      Identity Accreditation

         The email sender has provided a real world identity and a physical
         address at which legal process can be served and this information has
         been authenticated by means of some trustworthy process.

      Undertaking Accreditation

         In addition to meeting the identity accreditation requirements, the
         email sender has undertaken to comply with a specified email sending
         policy.

      Reputation Accreditation

         In addition to meeting the undertaking accreditation requirements,
         the email sender has been determined to be in compliance with those
         requirements

      1.3 Publication of Accreditation Statements

         Accreditation statements are published by means of an extension of
         the existing mechanism used for publication of anti-spam blacklists
         via DNS.

         An accreditation statement is published by means of the DNS A record.
         To avoid collisions with other uses of the DNS addresses in the
         127.0.x.x loopback address range are used.

         [TBS]

      1.4 Accreditation Authority Meta Data

         The domain prefix specified for an accreditation service MAY contain
         a record that describes the use of the particular accreditation
         service with the key _accredit.

      1.5 Interpretation of Accreditation Statements

         Email recipients MAY interpret Accreditation Statements in any
         fashion they choose, including regarding an Accreditation Statement
         as a negative indicator.

      <Lastname>               Expires - July 2004                 [Page 4]
                                     <Title>                   January 2004

         The reputation of the Accreditation Authority MUST be considered
         suspect until proven reliable.

      2. DNS Publication of Accreditation Statements

      2.1 Accreditation Authority Description TXT Record

             type:{ identity | undertaking | reputation }
                The type of accreditation provided as described in the
                introduction.

             open:<boolean>
                If true the accreditation service is open and MAY be consulted
                to obtain information even if the sender does not list the
                service as an accreditor.

             protocol: {dns-a | dns-txt | other }
                The protocol by which the accreditation may be retrieved. The
                keyword dns-a specifies that the accreditation record is
                encoded as a DNS A record. The keyword dns-txt specifies that
                the accreditation record is encoded as a DNS TXT record.

             length:<integer>
                The number of bits in the record value that have significance.

             scale: {log2 | log10 | linear | none}
                The scale to be applied when comparing the corresponding
                record values.

      2.2 Sender Recipient A Record

         The least significant 16 bits of the A record are interpreted as
         directed by the description TXT record.

      2.3 Sender Recipient TXT Record

         Option here to add in more descriptive information.

      3. Filter Interpretation Guidelines

         An email filter MAY make any use it chooses of information provided.

      3.1 Establishing Provider Reputation

         It is suggested that email filters SHOULD determine weightings to
         assign to accreditation notices from particular Accreditation
         Authorities by means of empirical measurement of their effectiveness

      <Lastname>               Expires - July 2004                 [Page 5]
                                     <Title>                   January 2004

         rather than fixed a-priori values. If fixed weightings are assigned
         it SHOULD be possible to override these values.

         For example an email recipient receiving a large quantity of email
         might perform an analysis of the accuracy of various Accreditation
         Authorities on a statistically significant sample of that email.

         Recipients of smaller quantities of email might rely on third party
         assessments of the accuracy of Accreditation Authorities or on
         feedback from end-users identifying messages that have been wrongly
         categorized.

      3.2 Combining Accreditations

         When combining Accreditations from different Accreditation Providers
         filters MAY use the information provided in the Accreditation
         Authority Description record to determine whether the information
         provided is likely to have dependencies or not.

         For example an email sender that is accredited by two different
         Accreditation Authorities that verify identity information is not
         likely to be significantly less likely to be a spammer than an email
         sender that is only accredited by one Accreditation Authority. But an
         Email sender that is accredited by one Accreditation Authority that
         verifies identity information and another that monitors complaints
         from end users is less likely to be a spammer than a sender with only
         one of the accreditations.

      4. Security Considerations

      4.1 Unauthenticated or Wrongly Authenticated Sender

         A positive accreditation has no value if someone other than the
         accreditation subject can make use of it. It is therefore essential
         for the sender of an email to be accredited before a positive weight
         is given to an accreditation value.

      4.2 Untrustworthy Accreditation Provider

         An Accreditation Authority may be untrustworthy for many reasons,
         they may perform their activities in a negligent fashion or with
         actual malice.

         For example a spammer might run an unrestricted accreditation service
         that accurately listed all his rivals as spammers but did not list
         the spammer who operated the service. Alternatively an Accreditation

      <Lastname>               Expires - July 2004                 [Page 6]
                                     <Title>                   January 2004

         service may maliciously publish a negative reputation about a
         subject.

         For this reason email filters MUST evaluate the reputation of the
         Accreditation Authority as well as the data provided by that
         authority.

         The number of email senders that reference accreditation records
         published by an Accreditation Authority MAY provide an indication of
         the relative trustworthiness of that provider.

      4.3 DNS Security Issues

         The DNS protocol does not provide cryptographic assurance of the
         integrity of the information published and is vulnerable to Denial of
         Service attacks.

         [This is no big deal for this protocol]