Re: new dimensions in stopping spam

2004-03-12 14:26:33
--wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wrote:
Updating name servers requires you to go through your registrar and
have them propogate through the TLD servers.  This is *much* slower
than switching A records or switching domain names during a spam run.
Creating a completely new nameserver is even slower and I think that
if spammers start to try to flood the root servers with lots of new
name servers, there will quickly be even more restrictions put in place.

Anti-spammers are currently using common name servers, and it is a
useful technique.  I think it will remain useful in the long-term.

Agreed. Eventually, in the future Utopia, I can imagine registrars taking a more active role in killing spammers. If they could get better about tracking which domains are owned by the "same" people (by actually verifying addresses or something) and if they actually terminate all the domain names when a number of them by the same owner are found to be in error, then this could replace blocking by DNS Server IP.

I think "your NS servers are in the same IP space" is the closest we currently come to "your domains are controlled by the same person". But