Re: new dimensions in stopping spam

2004-03-12 11:17:54
On Friday 12 March 2004 16:35, wayne wrote:
There are clearly some registrars that take a very anti-spam stance
(GoDaddy being the most notable).  While I agree that there are
problems similar to many DNSBLs, it is worth noting that DNSBLs put a
lot of preasure on ISPs to keep things clean.  As a result, even
though I don't use SPEWS in any way, I benefit from the existance of
SPEWS.  I think it is safe to say that there will be sufficient
numbers of mail admins that will use the registrar information to
judge whether to accept email that many registrars will try to keep
clean.

Some aggressive DNSBLs and their subscribers have little concern for
minimising 'collateral damage'. This indirectly harms all internet users as
by increasing the risks for small players that cannot defend themselves
easily, they represent a force for centralising economic power in the hands
of a few major players.

My point: if you don't agree with SPEWS enough to use it, you probably don't
benefit from it's existence either.