SRS with sendmail and Python

2004-03-17 21:27:24
I have installed a Python version of SRS in two production systems
and am filtering on SPF and rejected bounces which are not SRS signed
in a Python milter.

Things are working pretty well, and I have started rejecting lots of
spoofed bounces.  However, there is one sitation which is not handled
well - forwarding postmaster.  If postmaster(_at_)client(_dot_)com is aliased to
admin(_at_)manager(_dot_)com, then when sendmail can't deliver a bounce from
client.com,
the bounce goes to admin(_at_)manager(_dot_)com - with a null from.  However,
manager.com rejects the unsigned destination with null from, and sendmail
on client.com then panics and discards the message.

I hope you followed that.  It is no big deal yet, because usually all the
failing bounces from client servers are attempts to tell spammers that
the mail can't be delivered.  However, eventually SPF will stop more of
the spammers at the gate, and I'll want to see those failed bounces.
Any idea how to handle this?  IMO, mail to postmaster should not have
a null from.  It is not a bounce, it is a notification that the bounce failed.
I can't fix this in the milter, because local mail to postmaster doesn't
go through SMTP.

      "Very few of our customers are going to have a pure Unix
      or pure Windows environment." - Dennis Oldroyd, Microsoft Corporation