Re: SV: When should the proccessing of the SPF record end?

2004-03-23 09:26:29
In
<0AD4DE2DC31C914A81FE604450BE9A8EC490(_at_)einstein(_dot_)johan(_dot_)homeip(_dot_)net>
 <spf-team(_at_)strandhuset(_dot_)net> writes:

I was happy with the original interpretation that the processing
terminate when a mechanism matched. It is not that hard to put the
explanation before the mechanism that will fail.

The original intent was that modifiers would be placed after the
mechanisms.  Earlier SPF specs even mandated it.  All SPF
implemenations that I know will look through the entire SPF record for
modifiers.

                                                 This would also
allow for different explanations for different matches:

v=spf1 exp=user._exp.%{d} -exists:%{l}.%{d} mx exp=_exp.%{d} -all

Interesting idea, but none of the SPF implementations do this, and
things like the proposed "accred=" modifier need to allow multiple
instances without later ones overriding earlier ones.

In section 5.1, it even says: "However, for clarity it is RECOMMENDED
that redirect modifiers appear after mechanisms."  This doesn't apply
to all modifiers, but it does mean that SPF implementations are
required to look through the entire SPF record to see if a redirect
modifier is there.

-wayne