Re: When should the proccessing of the SPF record end?

2004-03-23 08:25:34
In <20040323020650(_dot_)GW27090(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 07:55:43PM -0600, wayne wrote:

| IMHO, I think that the entire SPF record MUST be checked for syntax
| errors.  When dealing with important policies that involve the
| rejection of email, allowing ambiguity and sloppiness in the
| specification is A Bad Idea.

I agree it's a bad idea, but as long as it's only a bad idea for the
sloppy publishers, it doesn't hurt the rest of us.  I think.

I agree with Greg's response, but I will add this:

A spec that allows a lot of slop causes all uncertainty for both
publishers and people who check SPF records about how things are going
to be interpreted elsewhere.  No one wants legitimate email to be
rejected.  This fear, uncertainty and doubt plays against widespread
adoption of SPF.

So, yes, I think specs with a lot of slop *does* hurt the rest of us.

-wayne