Re: Nice eWeek article on SPF and the IETF process

2004-05-06 08:56:16
On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 16:27, James Couzens wrote:
How many millions of dollars have people wasted on useless anti-spam
products when the solution is a combination of fixing a gaping hole and
implementing sender authentication?  Most if not all of the solutions to
date are the equivalent of simply arresting escaping prisoners from a
correctional facility, but never fixing the method they are using to
escape in the first place!!

This is exactly why I was originally attracted to proposals like SPF.
Most technologies being created to battle spam and email abuse were
addressing the SYMPTOMS of various problems and not one of the PROBLEMS
itself.  SPF actually addresses a PROBLEM.  Addressing symptoms of a
problem and not the problem itself is one of my pet peeves.  Simply
drives me nuts to see misdirected effort.

--
Dustin D. Trammell
Vulnerability Remediation Alchemist

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/spf-draft-200404.txt