RE: S/MIME Gateway Profile / Yahoo DomainKeys

2004-05-06 10:48:23
On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 10:15, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

[snip]

What I would like to see in MUAs is:

  I was reading up on the two competing encryption/signing mechanisms
for email, S/MIME and OpenPGP, and I would like to add one *must* for
any standard that is used for RFC2822 authentication that needs to be
implemented in MUAs or MTAs.
  Apparently, at least an earlier version of S/MIME involved some
patents where the patent holder(s) had not given any kind of commitment
to license the patents royalty free.  I don't know about the current
version of S/MIME.
  Because GPLed MUAs or MTAs should not be excluded from this up and
coming authenticated mail world, any patents in any technology involved
should be required to be available on an RF basis.  Maybe this list
isn't the best place to deal with this issue, but it *will* need to be
dealt with before any key decisions are made regarding certain
technologies.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator