Re: Recursion limit of 20 include/redirects total

2004-05-11 02:31:59
On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 04:42:51AM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

I've updated the draft, please check the latest 200405 --- I believe
it already addresses this problem.  You are limited to 20 recursions
total, not a depth of 20.  (Recursions mean include/redirect operations.)

quote from draft:
   If a loop is detected, or if more than 20 subqueries are triggered,
   an SPF client MAY abort the lookup and return the result "unknown".

Isn't this way too relaxed?

What about:
   If a loop is detected, or if more than 20 subqueries are triggered,
   an SPF client MUST abort the lookup and return the result "error".

possibly with some explanation such as:

   Incorrect setups do not necessarily mean a malicious act, however
   it is of great importance the setup is corrected ASAP.  Returning
   "error" is an incentive for the domain to do just that.

cheers,
Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If