Re: a change in the implementation?

2004-05-13 12:36:32

Daniel Taylor said:
Chuck Mead wrote:
I just updated my policy script to the latest version and I noticed a
change in the way it works. See the following:

May 13 18:07:28 varmint postfix/policy-spf[8348]: : SPF unknown:
smtp_comment=Please see
http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=wmpmta02-app.mail-store.com&ip=194.73.242.4&receiver=varmint.moongroup.com:
domain of sender wmpmta02-app.mail-store.com does not exist,
header_comment=varmint.moongroup.com: error in processing during lookup
of
wmpmta02-app.mail-store.com
May 13 18:07:28 varmint postfix/policy-spf[8348]: handler
sender_permitted_from: DUNNO
May 13 18:07:28 varmint postfix/policy-spf[8348]: decided action=DUNNO

As I recall, under the old script this would not have gotten a DUNNO. It
would have been assigned a REJECT because the domain of sender does not
exist. That is what I would prefer! Is there some way to get the old
behavior back?

Check for whether the domain exists before passing to SPF. Most MTA's
have this capability built in already.

The change was made because it isn't SPF's role to check existence of
the domain, just to verify compliance with the domain's published
sender policy.

Okay... I do check it... but I liked having it done at that point in the
process. No worries... :-)

--
csm(_at_)moongroup(_dot_)com
Chief Tech and Bottle Washer