RE: Brainstorming RFROM variants

2004-05-21 16:54:26
From: david nicol
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 5:38 PM

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 14:47, Mark Shewmaker wrote:
Folks have talked about a possible STMP extension to allow message body
headers to be transmitted before the rest of the message body.  It
occurs to me that such an extension could overlap with an RFROM
extension.

erm, headers have come first since 1981, and if you don't like them
you can pass the connection off to a very lightweight thread that
sleeps between collecting single lines and eventually issues a rejection.

True, this spares your CPU but still eats your network bandwidth.  If we
have to extract PRD from the headers to check against RFROM: and it doesn't
match, I guess this is the best you can do in a bad situation.

Seige tactics.

The qsmtpd list has had much discussion of the "spamcannibal" approach
in which your MTA informs your firewall to drop a random half of the
packets arriving on this eschewed connection.

Advenge does a magic phrase check on the headers as soon as they are
all in.

Sounds interesting.  What can you tell us about this?

--

Seth Goodman