Re: the problem of regime change

2004-06-01 07:40:03
Why shouldn't RFCs, the laws of the Internet, do the same?

I think that "the laws of the Internet" is one of those 1990's sort of
phrases. (Incidentally, there's a book about actual, real law called that.)
To characterise RFCs as "laws" is to miss some fairly important points
about them. How are these "laws" made? How are infractions judged?
Sanctions enforced?

RFCs are, for the most part, as far as I can tell, technical documents,
concerned with publishing standards for interoperability. It seems strange
to me that one would want to create such a document with a built in expiry
date.
That's to say "We'll interoperate this way until dd-mm-yyyy, after that...
Oh, I dunno, let's see how it goes." Bizarre.