Spamware checking SPF records?

2004-06-03 21:01:44
I haven't done a systematic check, but it seems that within days of publishing SPF records, *attempts* at joe jobs against those domains have stopped.

For example, for one site I manage, we would regularly get spam which forged our own domain. Since an SPF record for the domain, the number seems to have dropped off.
And since employing SPF filtering (yesterday) there have only been two.

I'm sorry that I don't have numbers to back this up. I haven't been specifically tracking this, but will see if I grep anything useful of out logs.

But if this isn't just my imagination, I am very surprised by the speed of the spammers' response. The only way I think this could be done is if the spamware itself is checking SPF records.

-j

-- Jeffrey Goldberg
 Jeffrey(_at_)goldmark(_dot_)org                   http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/