Re: a "never relays" parameter

2004-06-10 23:07:48
"Seth Goodman" <sethg(_at_)GoodmanAssociates(_dot_)com> writes:

Since you propose that recipient MTA's should all maintain trusted forwarder
lists, is there really any need for originator tests?  Playing the devil's
advocate here, if all recipients maintained trusted forwarder lists, there
really isn't any need for SRS, either.  If we need SRS because not all sites
have forwarder whitelists, we also need originator tests, since those
recipients can't distinguish a trusted forwarder from a forger.  How do we
reconcile this?

What about people who (for whatever reason) use a chain of
forwarders? The final forwarder could be in the recipient's trusted
forwarder list, and the first forwarder can do checks on the original
sender, but will the mail not fail the checks when passed between
forwarders? Using SRS will allow this to work.