OT: Hungarian and SPF meanings [was: Zafi.b]

2004-06-15 13:09:43
On Jun 15, 2004, at 8:04 AM, administrator(_at_)yellowhead(_dot_)com wrote:

and
then proceeds with it's dirty work using Hungarian sounding names.

Off topic, but "hazafi" mean "patriot", 'hazafibb" MIGHT be something like "most patriotic" or "leading patriot" (I don't think it is standard Hungarian).

The Sophos website

 http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32zafib.html

Has an important translation error.  Where Sophos gives a translation of

  [We demand that the government] accommodates the homeless

the Hungarian is actually ambiguous and can be read as "puts the homeless in their place" or "deals with the homeless" or "resolves homelessness". Given the rest of the text, I think that that ambiguity is important.

Note, my knowledge of Hungarian is far from perfect. So take my translations with a grain of salt.

This virus uses the proper MAIL FROM: domain name for the sending IP range,

Again, I think it is good to keep in mind what an SPF pass means. It doesn't mean that a message isn't spam, it doesn't mean that the message isn't a virus. All it means is that it comes from an IP address authorized to use that MAIL FROM domain. Such information my inform your policy toward that domain, but your policy toward that domain is your business and, presumably, based on what kinds of things do come from that domain.

-j