Re: is there even a need for funding?

2004-07-08 21:00:37
In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)44(_dot_)0407081345510(_dot_)13633-100000(_at_)sokol(_dot_)elan(_dot_)net>
 "william(at)elan.net" <william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net> writes:

Direct funding and grants for the group is not the approach taken by most
opensource projects or in general public internet technology development
communities. Typically its not the group that receives the funding but
individual participants receive support from companies (that may use of
these or other opensource technologies) and provide them with place to
work and/or continue their research. The company then receives publicity
and recognition for their support.

And, indeed, this is somewhat the case in the SPF community also.

It is my understanding that Meng may have been the founder of
pobox.com, but he is no longer the owner.  Pobox.com has funded Meng
almost full time to make SPF happen.  Thank you!

There are other situations though.  For example, Mark Lentczner (RFC
co-author), Greg Connor, and I don't work for email related companies
and don't get paid for the work we have done for SPF.  I live on a
(very) fixed income and SPF related work has cost me money out of my
pocket.

When Mark and Greg went to the IETF MARID meeting in May, they didn't
have to fly out there, but I did.  (Fortunately, I have a good friend
who lives about a mile a way from the meeting site, so I didn't have
to pay hotel bills.)  I think SPF is in a much better position to
become an RFC (rather than MS's Caller-ID) because we attended and
were able to defend SPF.

Coming up in the beginning of August is the main IETF meeting in San
Diego.  This costs $500 just to get in, and since I don't know anyone
in San Diego, I'm looking at $150/day hotel, plus airline, plus
whatever.  I'm willing to pay this out of my pocket because the IETF
meeting is probably where the thumbs up or down will come on the
proposals.  If the IETF MARID group produces a good proposal, then I
think I should be there to help defend it.  If they produce a bad
proposal, I think I should be there to help kill it.

For what it is worth, I'm pretty sure that neither Mark nor Greg will
make it to the IETF meeting.

I have not ask anyone for money and I have actually *donated* some
money to the cause (and got a free t-shirt for it!)  Ok, one person
did come forward and has given me some money for my work on SPF
(Thanks!), but I didn't solicit it.

I suspect that what Meng would like to use the donations for is to
help get SPF people to things like IETF meetings.  I would personally
feel a lot better if the donations stuff was spelled out more clearly.
If it was up to me, I probably wouldn't solicit donations at all.

So, anyway, I am personally willing to commit my own money to make SPF
happen and I know others who are doing likewise.   Please don't feel
obliged to donate any money, but if you are interested, talk with
Meng.  If you have concerns, ask him about where the money will go.

-wayne