Re: *****SPAM***** Re: SPF is not usable as legal measure against spammers

2004-07-18 16:20:10
On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 23:19, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
Well said. Despite my carping, it's actually *possible* to make these things
definitive for a domain, but it requires the use of matching *singular* PTR
and A records for the hostnames. This is possible for domains that have
excellent control of their DNS, but not for a large percentage of domains.
In particular, it breaks down badly for SMTP servers that host multiple
domains, such as many of the ones that folks on this list administrate.

OK, I'm not an ISP but my SMTP server does host multiple domains and I
get by quite happily with a single PTR record. I don't see why having a
single PTR record should be a problem for anyone. But if people *want*
to have multiple PTR records (why?), then those domains owners will need
to choose something other than the PTR mechanism for their SPF records.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul(_at_)city-fan(_dot_)org>