SPF and Responsibility

2004-07-19 13:26:27

I'd like to summarize the arguments about SPF and responsibility.

My core argument is that by publishing SPF records, you assume
responsibility for email sent with and SPF PASS result for your domain.

Others argue that the internet isn't securable, that people are stupid, and
so they can't be held responsible. I say these are irrelevant.

I have a few questions for them. This should expose exactly where they
believe responsibility starts and stops.

Hypothetical question: There are two companies, let's say neverspams.com and
sometimesspams.com. Both companies send a large amount of email. Both
publish SPF records.

In ten years of operation, NeverSpams never ever sends a single spam or
viruses with email that has SPF PASS. That's literally billions of emails
with SPF PASS, and exactly 0 spam or viruses. All are legitimate, solicited
email.

In ten years of operation, SometimesSpams occasionally sends spam or viruses
with email that has SPF PASS. The total number of spam or viruses sent with
SPF PASS among the total amount of email sent with SPF PASS is less than
1%, but still some. That's literally billions of pieces of mail sent with
SPF PASS, with only tens of millions of spams sent with SPF PASS.

Would you accept NeverSpams email with SPF PASS without further checks?

Would you accept SometimesSpams email with SPF PASS without further checks?

Would your opinion of SometimesSpams change if SometimesSpams blamed its
problems on incompetent staff, lack of funding, geographical location, or
bad ISP? What if SometimesSpams is constantly being attacked and
compromised?

Would your opinion change if SometimesSpams was ignorant and unresponsive?
IE, they get attacked, but they don't recognize it, or they won't do
anything about it for weeks, or they ignore complaints about their
compromised servers.

Would your opinion change if SometimesSpams sent 10% spam? 50%? 99%? 100%?

Final Question:

Who is ultimately responsible for NeverSpams' and SometimesSpams's email
reputation (with email that has SPF PASS)?

- --
Jonathan M. Gardner
Mass Mail Systems Developer, Amazon.com
jonagard(_at_)amazon(_dot_)com