RE: Seattle Perl User's Group presentation on SPF

2004-09-08 15:46:21
mholm(_at_)medrad(_dot_)com wrote:
Well, it may be a direct quote from the spf.pobox.com page, but it is
wrong and makes an unfortunate first impression.

"SPF fights email address forgery and makes it easier to identify
spams, worms, and viruses. Domain owners identify sending mail
servers in DNS. SMTP receivers verify the envelope sender address
against this information, and can distinguish legitimate mail from
***spam*** before any message data is transmitted."

Asterisks mine.

Should read forgeries instead of spam

Indeed.  All SPF does is (to use a snailmail analogy) check the return address
against the postmark.

I expect your Perl users group contains a lot of gearheads who will
want to know the rational that takes you from premise to conclusion.

"gearheads?"  I resemble that remark. :)

Matthew(_dot_)van(_dot_)Eerde(_at_)hbinc(_dot_)com
805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"