Re: Get out your scalpels

2004-09-18 00:57:30
On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 22:15, mholm(_at_)medrad(_dot_)com wrote:
In claim 22, the clause, "an act of examining a plurality of parameter values
of
the electronic message to attempt to identify an actual sending side network
address corresponding to a sending computer system;" is curious to me.  I
thought in SPC Classic, there was no need to hunt for an IP address, no
thought
that the IP address might not be trustworthy.  In SPF classic, we assume that
the IP address from the TCP transaction is trustworty.  It is the only truely
trustworthy thing about the whole email transaction and the success of SPF
Classic hangs on its trustworthyness.  So why is this patent application
troubling with hunting for an "actual sending side network address"?

Perhaps what the inventor was thinking of was a tool to go into an MUA,
which would be examining Received: headers of incoming mail to try to
determine the source. Such a tool *would* have to concern itself with
forged headers and hence forged IP addresses.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul(_at_)city-fan(_dot_)org>