Re: Microsoft's email regarding Sender ID Update & Plans (forwarded by request)

2004-09-26 12:02:05
On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 12:44:58AM -0700, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq.
<amitchell(_at_)isipp(_dot_)com> wrote:
After discussion with the IETF MARID chairs, we jointly agreed to move
forward with a proposal that provides implementers the choice of
utilizing PRA or MAIL FROM for the Sender ID check mechanism.  While
the working group has recently shut down, we continue to work with the
chairs and key stakeholders to move forward.  Based on these recent
discussions we have agreed to insure backward compatibility to SPF1
records.  We believe this will help accelerate adoption for the early
adapters and insure the majority of e-mail senders do not have to make
any record changes.  We anticipate these revised Sender ID specs will
be published within the next week and posted at
www.microsoft.com/senderid.

So, basically, microsoft implementations will check my spf1 records, feed them
through some buggy black box that does a lot of stuff that wasn't in the
original 'specs' for spf1, and then returns a result i never anticipated. The
net effect: massive pulling back of spf1 records if a significant part of ms
mta owners implement ms's checks.

Here's an idea: let's write plugins for MUA's that detect whether the other end
is an exchange server, and if so randomly rejects with vague error messages to
the extent that the exchange server is misconfigured and that therefore mail
could not be sent.. :)

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.