OT: all this talk of debt

2004-09-27 08:52:29
[Michel Py]
I can assure you that someone will pay
Uncle Sam's debt. I can even tell you who:
me. And _you_. Welcome to America.

Well, only 35% of the net debt is held by foreign investors. The rest is
held by American investors, local governments, or institutions.

So we owe that debt mostly to ourselves.

And I don't think we have to worry about Japan and Germany showing up at
the door with a baseball bat to collect what we owe them. Heck, we
probably hold as much or more of their foreign debt, percentage-wise.

(source: http://www.house.gov/jec/fiscal/debt.pdf)