RE: Alternatives drafts for SUBMITTER identity

2004-09-27 17:20:08

William,

SUBMITTER as defined by your draft is a different concept than SUBMITTER
as defined by draft-ietf-marid-submitter-xx.  Related, but different.

Your argument is that all would be well if we dropped the semantics
specified by draft-ietf-marid-submiter, and changed the specs to use the
semantics you supply.  While this might make everything fine from your
perspective, it doesn't from mine.  I for one decline your invitation.

Your comment that we should give the IETF and implementers a choice
about which to use is exactly on point.  The easiest way to do so is to
have different extensions, so that MTAs in conversation know exactly
what is meant by each other.

Since the name SUBMITTER is already in use by
draft-ietf-marid-submitter, please choose another name.

-- Jim Lyon